Monday 15 December 2014

Steven Smith: Will continue to play aggressive cricket

Steve Smith - Australia' 45th Test captain. © Getty
Nailing down a spot in Australia's batting order took patience for Steve Smith but his elevation to captain of the Test team has been virtually an overnight affair. Long marked for big things, Smith was named Australia's 45th Test captain in place of injured Michael Clarke and will have scarcely two days to digest the appointment before leading the team against India in the second Test in Brisbane.
Though nominally a temporary replacement, the 25-year-old will lead for the remaining three Tests, and will surely be given a longer rope as Australia seek a young replacement for the injured Clarke. The third-youngest captain to ever lead the team, Smith will have to shoulder a huge burden of expectation. 
"It's been a pretty whirlwind 18 months for me personally and I guess the whole team as well," Smith told reporters in Brisbane on Monday.
"As a captain, I think, first and foremost, I'll try to lead from the front with my performance on the field. And in regards to tactics and everything, I think we've been pretty good this year. Pup's (Clarke's) been amazing with what he's done. I don't feel there's any real need for a big change there. For this (captaincy) to come up so quickly, it's an amazing thrill. It's something that I've always dreamt of doing. To now have the opportunity to lead Australia in a Test match and the rest of this series, it's an amazing thrill." 
Smith's appointment means Cricket Australia have accelerated succession planning for Clarke's eventual departure, which may become clearer over the next couple of days after more scans on his troublesome hamstring.
The sight of Smith and his boyish features ordering around seasoned team mates like 37-year-old vice captain Brad Haddin and 35-year-old paceman Ryan Harris may seem curious at first, but there is no doubting that Smith has the potential to become a top-class leader. Haddin will now be an important sounding board for Smith, who has led state team New South Wales and Big Bash side, Sydney Sixers, and claims the respect of senior players.
"I've had a bit of leadership experience with New South Wales and the Sydney Sixers. I know at the Sixers I had some older heads there with Brett Lee and Stuart MacGill. To lead those guys was a big thrill for me. I know coming out at the Gabba, our senior guys will support me 100%, and Brad Haddin, who I'm very close with, as the vice-captain will be right behind me. I'm extremely close to Brad and when I told him yesterday that Rod called me, He was over the moon... he's proud as punch. I'm certainly going to look to Brad out there as Michael (Clarke) always does. He's a terrific team man and he's got a great cricket brain as well. He's certainly someone I can lean on out in the middle."
Smith has nailed down his pot in the Australian Test XI following some brilliant displays, including his 162 and 52 in the first Test against India at Adelaide.
"I think I'm just getting better every day. I am (ready). I'm extremely excited. I think when I'm just a player on the field I try to have my brain thinking like a captain all the time. Obviously, it's a different kettle of fish (leading) Australia, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I said to the boys this morning that I had no intention of changing any plans of anything we've been doing over the past 18 months. We've come a long way and we've been playing some very good cricket and we're going to continue playing that aggressive, positive brand of cricket," Smith said.

No comments:

Post a Comment